My favorite cookie blog, Cookie Madness, did a Loft House cookie-clone test. I’m not sure she ever came up with a perfect copy, but she came close. In one of her comments, someone mentioned this recipe from the back of the Jiffy Baking mix box. It’s been years since I bought Jiffy or Bisquick, but I wanted to try this recipe!These were really close to the real Loft House, and so yummy tasting, I never even frosted them! Try to let them get a touch of color (don’t under bake!) because they got softer in the cookie jar day by day.
Jiffy Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups JIFFY Baking mix
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 TBSP shortening
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment, or lightly grease.
- Add baking mix & sugar in medium mixing bowl. Add shortening and using a pastry mixer-tool or two knives, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture is the size of small peas.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir with wooden spoon until combined.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto baking sheet; allow 2” between mounds.
- Bake 8-10 minutes and lightly golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on pan, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost if desired.
- Makes about 30 cookies.
Bake until they’re a little more brown than this.