Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wonderful Wednesday Wrecipes

I’m trying to de-stress my life, which is part of the reason I haven’t been blogging much lately. Not that blogging is stressful, just that I’m too stressed to blog, if that makes sense. I haven’t been doing anything creative cooking-wise lately either, until Cookie Madness had a yellow cake marathon last month, in which she compared 6 different yellow cakes. Start with this post, which is the last of the series, and scroll back (can you do that?- OH! I think you can click the tag “recipe comparisons” at the bottom, and that should bring up the other posts) to read the in-depth recipes/reviews. Which led to a craving for yellow cake on my part. I chose Anna’s winner, the Shirley Corriher cake, because I have one of her cookbooks, and I know she knows her stuff.

Yummy Yellow Cake

Adapted from Shirley Corriher’s Bake wise

  • 1-3/4 cup cake flour
  • 1-3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1-1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup water, heated one minute in microwave
  • 4 TBSP butter, cut into 1 TBSP pieces
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2- 9” round pans with flour added baking spray and line bottoms with rounds of parchment, or use 8” round pans for a higher cake.
  2. Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl & set aside.
  3. Add sugar to large mixing bowl. Heat the water and add to the sugar and beat a few seconds to dissolve the sugar, then add the butter, vanilla and salt. yellow cake1
  4. Add the oil and mix on medium speed to blend. By hand, alternate flour and buttermilk, starting & ending with flour. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. yellow cake2
  5. Pour batter into prepared pans. Drop pans onto counter a few times to get out any bubbles. Bake for about 25 minutes, but start checking with a toothpick at 18 minutes. yellow cake3
  6. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.yellow cake4

I obviously didn’t drop my pans enough. I thought this came out really well- very moist. It was a bit too sweet for my taste when it was freshly baked, but it tempered a bit the next day and after. It stayed very moist & fresh tasting (the buttermilk?) for several days on the counter. Next time I may decrease the sugar a few tablespoons or increase the vanilla and/or salt. I also didn’t frost it-too lazy and stressed! It was perfect lunch bag cake, though!

3 comments:

Glenna said...

The cake looks delish, and Garden Grew is looking pretty wonderful too!

Cookie Madness said...

Glad you tried it! I often find things taste sweet the first day -- not cookie, but things like cakes. I'm not sure why that is, but things seem to taste better on Day 2. You might want to try the Cooks Illustrated cake too. I liked both of them a lot. For some reason, I liked the Shirley cake a tiny bit more, but the CI cake was great too.

Cookie Madness said...

Hi Mary,

Hopefully I didn't leave 10 comments. I'm having some trouble logging into the comment section. Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for trying the cake. If you get a chance, try the Cooks Illustrated one. It's good and maybe not as sweet. Although like you, I find cakes I've baked taste better the second day. Sometimes, after putting all the energy into baking them, I just need a 24 hour break from the cake. LOL.