With all the crappy weather we’ve been having, a pot of soup has been sounding like an oasis of comfort and warmth. I browsed thru Tasty Kitchen’s recipe index and found this soup. Here is my version, but please refer to the original for a nice photo- I was too busy slurping to take one!
Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green or red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne (or to taste)
- ½ lb. Boneless chicken, ¾” dice
- 32 oz plus 1 can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 can green chilis (Ortega Fire roasted are good)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ - ½ fresh jalapeño, chopped finely
- In a large pot, add olive oil & heat on medium. Add onion & green pepper and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sprinkle cumin and cayenne and stir.
- Season chicken pieces with salt & pepper, and add to pot. Brown each side about 4 minutes each. You can also substitute pre-cooked shredded chicken and add it at this time, and proceed to next step.
- Pour in chicken broth, canned chilis, corn, jalapeno, and enchilada sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in sour cream. Serve & garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream, lime & cilantro.
It was Em’s idea to add the corn- nice touch!