Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just When you Think you can take a deep breath....


Life kicks you in the stomach.

I got a call from my Mom's friend last night that she (Mom) had fallen in her house. She got herself into a wheelchair and thought she had just bruised herself, then at some point decided to have Flo take her to the ER. Long story short: she's fractured the top of her tibia and has been admitted. We're (my bros & me) waiting on what the ortho doc has to say regarding what inevitably will be a surgical repair procedure. Needless to say, I'm sure her osteoporosis will have an effect on whatever is the course of action.

Mom of course wants to go home yesterday; it's been 11 or 12 years almost exactly (Xmas eve last time) since she broke her other hip. She had complications by way of pneumonia then, hence her urgency to get home "before she catches something" in the hospital.

My two nice guacamoles offered to go down if she needs assistance and my older brother & I anticipate going down for a bit to help her get settled. Sometime after the end of the week will probably be decision time as to who goes when. Happy New Year............riiiight.
**EDIT**
My brother had told me last night "tibia", because that's what my mom had told him; all along, from info Flo had told me, as well as the same brother, I was visualizing the injury as near her hip. In the back of my head I sort of knew "tibia" isn't the leg bone up to the hip. I clarified with my brother today: she fractured the top of her femur and she is having the top of that bone replaced as her osteoporosis won't allow for the use of screws.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom's fall. Hope 2010 brings her a speedy recovery!