Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wonderful Wednesday Wrecipes

Sorry about the lack of post-age; I am having trouble adjusting to life with roommates. It’s incredible how easy it was to get used to being by myself for a couple of weeks, and how difficult it’s been to accomodate them back into my schedule. Anyway:

Meatloaf

(4 ample servings with leftovers)
  • 1 lb. Ground beef – 80%
  • ½ cup dry bread crumb
  • ½ cup milk
  • one egg
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 envelope or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon (Herb ox or eq.)
  • 1-1/2 TBSP ketchup

Directions:

  1. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk and set aside for about 5 minutes. (This is the key to a moist meatloaf.)
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg lightly; then add the beef, the onion, the bouillon and the ketchup, then the moistened breadcrumbs. (As I get older, I can’t tolerate onions so much, so I’ve found if you sauté them a bit in some oil until golden, they don’t impart such a strong onion flavor-just another dirty dish to wash!)
  3. Fold all ingredients together (or use your hands) until thoroughly mixed.
  4. Turn mixture into a 5” x 9” loaf pan, or into a small baking pan with sides and shape into a loaf. You may want to spray any pan you use with vegetable spray.
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

You can also up this to 1-1/2 pounds of beef. Just increase crumbs and milk to ¾ cup each. Adjust baking time to maybe an hour? And we didn’t grow up with a saucy topping on our meatloaf. If you have a good one, feel free to use it.

Sorry – no pictures of the last one I made. I imagine my photography skillz would make it look like ………..meatloaf. If that makes any sense.

No comments: