Thursday, September 9, 2010

Well!

repl-bethematch (1)

I joined the HLA bone marrow registry close to 20 years ago; a former classmate’s son had some strange disease, and staged a bone marrow drive in my hometown. The classmate was (and still is for all I know) a total bitch – I absolutely hated her guts! - and I donated a blood sample out of spite for her, if that makes any sense.

Well, I just got my first and only call that I’m a potential match for someone! I have to submit a more significant blood sample next week, and they do more testing. After 60 days, they’ll let me know if I’m a match and if I have to donate marrow or stem cells. The stem cell thing sounds less harrowing. I’d take a specific drug for 5 days to induce more somethings to occur in my blood, then have blood withdrawn, the somethings removed and the rest pumped back in. The marrow will involve a needle under either local or general anesthesia, into the rear of my pelvic bone-gahhh!

I’m kind of excited! Annnddd I’ll just not dwell on any of the rest of it! The HLA person had a charming British accent- I would have said “yes” to anything she asked- but don’t tell her that!

4 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

You gotta watch out with those British accents. You say yes to anything. ;)

Deborah said...

Mary, you are a rock star. What a wonderful thing to do!

Kat said...

Congratulations! I was a stem cell donor for my brother who had leukemia. I would be happy to tell you my experiences if you are interested. Send me an email if you are!

~Kat

Paula said...

I love your blog!

Have a nice time!
Paula