Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Someday....

When I'm rich & famous, or most likely, old and retired, I'm going to design a sampler around my all-time favorite quote. It's from a novel called "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. I read it about 15 years ago, and it was a so-so book. I remember almost forcing myself to finish it, because I couldn't believe that it could contain this sentence, yet the rest of the book just kind of suck. The quote resonated so much with me, because of my mind-set at the time: being unhappily married to a very difficult-to-please person, working a full time job with a young child in daycare/kindergarten.

I read this sentence to  my boss and to Barbara, my co-worker at the time,  whose likes & dislikes and sense of humor were so  mirrors of mine, I felt like an honorary member of her family. And they loved it too. I photocopied just the one sentence, and enlarged it and posted it on the wall at work and on my refrigerator, but forgot to note the author and the name of the book , which remained unremembered until about 6 years ago when Donna Tartt wrote her next novel and bells went off in my head and I gleefully made the correction to my poster.

And forever since, whenever we felt harried, disorganized, and distracted by the monotony of our lives, we just had to say "The Bunny Quote" to each other, and we knew EXACTLY how the other was feeling. And now, without further ado, is

The Bunny Quote:

"If he had his wits about him Bunny would surely keep his mouth shut; but now, with his subconscious mind knocked loose from its perch and flapping in the hollow corridors of his skull as erratically as a bat, there was no way to be sure of anything he may do."

from "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt

No comments: