Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wonderful Wednesday Wrecipes

I came across this in a local townie blog I read, for politics, mind you, NOT recipes! It sounded simple & good so I thought I’d give it a try:

*NOTE: what follows is my version of the original, due to ingredients on hand. Click link above to see original

Garlic Breadsticks

Breadstick dough ingredients

  • 3/4 cup water – lukewarm
  • 3-4 oz honey
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp yeast

Topping ingredients

  • 3-4 oz olive oil
  • 5-6 cloves crushed garlic
  • Parmesan cheese – regular spaghetti type
  • course ground sea salt

Directions

1. Add ingredients in order to bread machine – use dough cycle. My Betty Crocker takes 90 minutes.

2. Remove and gently roll out about 1/2” to 3/4” thick- roughly a 9” or 10” x 12” –ish rectangle on a lightly floured board. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 3/4” wide strips. Shape & twist into desired sized bread sticks – say 3/4 inches in diameter and 6-8 inches long – whatever you want. If the dough is too sticky to work with, coat your hands with flour.

3. Place on baking sheet greased with olive oil and covered with corn meal to prevent sticking. Alternatively, i lined a baking sheet with parchment & sprayed with cooking oil spray.

4. Crush 4-5 cloves garlic into 3-4 ounces of olive oil – brush over bread sticks. (My garlic was old, so I used some of that chopped garlic in olive oil in a jar- about 2 TBSP and 1/4 cup of oil)

breadstix2

I think I need a new brush- this one sucked dead llamas.

5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and coarse sea salt

breadstix1

6. Cook in preheated oven at 375 on center rack until done – around 15 – 20 minutes depending on the size, until lightly golden brown.

breadstix3

A little more brown than this.

I found they needed to be brushed with additional melted butter when done, but that’s my taste.

No comments: